964 Runner Rear Liftgate Handle

The latch on the rear liftgate on my 96 4 runner is constantly sticking, I have tried to lube it up with different sprays ect, with limited success, does anyone have any tips on how to keep the handle from sticking open?

ie, once I open and lift the back door, if I don't push the handle back to the resting position I can't close the door any more ( the latch won't catch)

thanks for any suggestions

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

Dave,

I've got an '88 4runner, and I have the same exact problem. For a while, the only way to make it latch properly is to push the tailgate firmly in place and then push the handle to the full down position.

I removed all the screws and dug down into the latch assembly as far as I could go, and came up blank in terms of an easy way to re-adjust it. I don't remember the details, seems there should have been a way to remedy it, but I couldn't think of one, so i put it back togeteher, and was always careful to push the handle down when closing the tailgate. The problem basically got better by itself, now it typically (but no always) latches completely when I slam the tailgate shut.

I guess my post was really no help to you, but at least I share your pain....let me know if you figure out a fix.

Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Paul,

:) thats the same as I have been doing for the last while, I make sure to flip the latch before I shut the gate, If I don't It might latch, Usually it doesn't but it sure would be nice to get the thing opperating normally again this is my first complaint about this truck in the 80,000 that I have owned it for

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

My '85 handle works fine, never do anything for it except an occasional shot of lube (every few years). One suggestion is to open up things around the latch and see if you can find out how it works and what is hanging it up. Om my VW, I had a problem that the driver's side door handle was almost impossible to operate, it was very hard to squeeze and even then it was hit or miss whether the door would open or not. Opened it up and saw the slop oin the linkages that were causing the difficulty, so I cleaned everything up, tightened up the pivots and linkages and lubed everything well. Now it operates easily with one finger.

Reply to
Roger Brown