98 Tacoma 4WD (2.7 liter - 4 cylinder) won't start

This problem happened intermittently a few times, but now appears to be here to stay. First, the battery is fully charged and good, and I replaced the spark plugs and wires after this began happening (so that's not it).

Initially, I would turn the key to start the truck and nothing would happen. I would get a click from the engine compartment so the ignition switch and clutch switch (to make sure the clutch is depressed) both appear to be fine. When this first happened I would try it a second or third time and then it would start.

Now it simply won't start. I get a click like the starter is engaging, but no actual turning over of the engine. Does anyone have any ideas for what to look at here?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
michael

sounds like your starter is toast, or check your grounds from teh starter to the battery,

Reply to
mudmonkey

Sounds like a loose battery terminal. Can you wiggle it?

Reply to
jp2express

Mike when that happened on my 1982 toyota, I found that the connections were covered in oil (oil leaked). Cleaning those fixed it. I would try taking the starter off and cleaning everything up. Also, the gear could be jammed in the flywheel. Put it in 4th or 5th and rock it back and fourth. Just an idea. Chas

Reply to
Chas

starter. the contacts are easily replaced.....somewhat...

Reply to
tbuggle

Starter contacts......very very common, mine were about 60 bucks to have replaced, hey, I was in a hurry

Reply to
Grip