advice for header pipe replacement

I am about take out my old header pipe and replace it with a new one. This is on a 1991 pickup 22re extra cab 2wd truck with 230,000 miles. I have all the parts and I know that I will be cutting out the bolts since I don't see any bolts left to grab onto. Any other advice to help make it go smoothly will be appreciated.

Also, since I will have to cut my bolts, any particular size or type I should replace them with. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Reply to
patliz1

Use a nut cracker (if there's room) or grinder to cut the nuts off without damaginf the studs. New headers will brobably be a little less thick so you'll have good threads left on the studs if you are careful. Avoid cheap headers they don't fit and they leak.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Go to

you can buy a new header stud kit from them... I'm not sure why it is that you need to cut them... but they are studs, not bolts... it may be very difficult to get the studs out of the head if you cut them all off. so just be Advised.. ian

Reply to
EasyE

Sorry if I sound skeptical, but are you sure you want to do this? And, if you're sure you want to do this, why ask us?

The manifold bolts are probably not bolts at all, which is part of why you can't find them. I think that cutting these very improtant bolts off is a huge mistake for "normal" service of the exhaust manifold. Sure, you may need to cut a nut or two, but that is not the preferred method of getting the manifold off.

You told us that the current header is a '91 with 230k miles, but that alone is not reason to replace this part.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland