Alarm comes on and I don't have a remote to turn it off

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help.

I purchased a 1991 4runner and disconnected the battery today.

When I reconnected it the alarm comes on and I don't know how to turn it off.

I don't have a remote - I only have the key.

How do I turn off the alarm.

The car won't start b/c the alarm is on.

Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
fourfour2

most aftermarket alarms have a valet switch to start the car with key... look for a little switch around the alarm unit

Matt

Thanks.

I think it's a factory installed alarm.

Ed

Reply to
fourfour2

Have it ripped out and a decent unit stuck in so you have a remote to open and lock your car. Or better still have a go yoruself at sticking it in. Easy car to install alarm into, all you need is a bit of electrical basic knowledge a test lamp and solder iron and wire strippers almost.

If you do have a go repost your effort or questions.

Reply to
Scotty

thats unlikely ... look under the dash where the pedals are ... look for a box with LOTS of wires coming out ...

Matt

thanks.

I found a tiny switch down under the clutch pedal on the left and it reset the alarm.

Ed.

Reply to
fourfour2

Check at dealer to see which remote it takes and look on eBay for your model. I've seen various ones there at really good prices. May be other aftermarket sources for them as well. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92