BF Goodrich TAKO, how good?

I have Michelin LTX M & S tires on my Toyota 4 x 4 pickup and I do 70% highway, 30% offroad. These are excellent tires. 65K on 'em with a little more to go.

When I purchased 'em, they had the BFG TA's and not the TAKO's.

Are the newer version tires any better than the original TA's?

I could get a set for approx $200.00 less than the Michelins and perhaps they might be worth the difference. If there's only a few dollars difference between the Michelins and the BFG's, I'd opt for the Michelins.

Any comments re: the BFG's?

Reply to
Climb14er

I replaced my Tundra's stock BFGs with Michelin Cross Terrain and am very happy. The BFGs had plenty of tread in the middle, but extreme cupping at the edges... alignment was not the issue, balance was.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I ran them on my previous truck with no complaints and I imagine I'll put them on my current truck when the current set of cheapies run out.

Reply to
Bard

We've had the BFG TAKO's on our 4Runner for about a year now. The tread wear is fine, no cupping, in fact they pretty much look new. We do about 80% street driving (in town and highway, evenly) and 20% rough road/winter snow and ice driving. We check the pressure frequently, tires are well balanced,and our alignment is good too apparently. (I just realized in the 4 years we've had this truck, it hasn't had an alignment at all... weird.)

It handles better on the snow than the no-name tires the dealer put on it (which were decent tires, actually.) Haven't taken it on any serious off road use as it is my primary vehicle and I don't want to chance it. It handles wet roads nicely, when we have them here.

We're definitely buying these tires again.

Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Reply to
Glen Strand

I'm sure the X Terrains are excellent tires - hence the popularity of it, but it looks like a winter tire, to me. Personally, I'd go with the more-aggressive tread design =DF=83Goodrich.

Michelin's =3D cross-over Suv's

BFG's =3D Trucks/real Suv's

Reply to
Unspamable

To me, it's al in the sound. If it doesn't go RRRRRRR down the road, it's not a real tire. :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander