Force required to spin ront wheel?

I have a 96 4x4 V6 Taco with Auto hubs. It has ~145k miles on it and the previous owner never did anything maintenance wise other than change the motor oil. I'm in the process of fixing up a few things and one is a vibration/noise coming from the front drive train. I've already replaced all the drive train fluids and rebalanced and rotated the fairly new tires. Although the shimmying has gone away, there is still a speed related hum coming from up front. I think it's more noise than what can be attributed to the basically stock tires and the fact that I only hear it from the front, even after rotating, keeps me thinking it from the front drive train. During my investigation I jacked up the front tires and gave tried to give them a wiggle. They don't have any side ways wobble but I noted that they were pretty tuff to turn. The only noise I could hear is from the hub area. I could identify some of it as simple brake pad/rotor drag but I don't think that's all of it. How hard is it to replace the wheel bearings? Any gotchas to look out for? Any other things to rule out for this noise before I dig into the bearings?

Thanks, Bard

Reply to
Bard

David J and Lynne J Shepherd