Clutch Problem

An engine with good compression will turn over when you push the truck or car. Otherwise you can not push start it. That is not a sign of low compression.

Reply to
OldPhart

If you put the car in the driveway in 1st gear and ti rolls away, that is a sign of low compression. If you can physically pust a car by hand in 1st or

2nd, that is a sign of low compression.

When you push a car in N, then jump in and dump the clutch, this is completely different than walking up to the front or back of a truck and shove it around the neighborhood in gear, then your engine is worn out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

| | If you put the car in the driveway in 1st gear and ti rolls away, that is a | sign of low compression. If you can physically pust a car by hand in

1st or | 2nd, that is a sign of low compression. | | When you push a car in N, then jump in and dump the clutch, this is | completely different than walking up to the front or back of a truck and | shove it around the neighborhood in gear, then your engine is worn out.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this. It may be a sign of low compression. But, I decided to convert my '57 Chevy 210 series hard top from the Powerglide transmission to a standard shift in the early 60's. The engine was a fresh rebuilt 283ci that had been bored out to 301ci and had new high compression pistons installed along with a 3/4 race cam and a 4 barrel carb. I did not have the clutch pedal and arm installed yet and decided to take it for a spin. We put it in gear, pushed the car to start it and away we went. The 4.11 rear end ratio may have helped. BTW, we installed a hydraulic clutch on it as it was easier since no welding was required. Used a '59 PU slave cylinder and another '57 brake master cylinder.

Reply to
OldPhart

One should not be able to push a car by hand with the transmission in 1st or R, and arguably in 2nd. One _might_ be able to push a car in 3rd or higher down a hill with 2 or more people.

If the car can be moved by itself or one person while in R or 1st, this is a sign of very low compression.

If you pushed your car with another car, then I would expect it to start runninig easily. If you needed two or three friends to push the car in 3rd to get it going, this would be expected as well.

Between the 4.11 gears and the newly built motor, I would not expect you could push the car by hand in any gear less than 3rd. The 4.10 gears and the transmission ration on 1st would act against your effort by requiring greater force to turn the motor. Less force would be needed in 3rd or 4th, but more speed would be needed to get the motor to run.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Engine Block, or sometime referred as the Cylinder Block, not to be confused with the Cylinder Head.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

There is no TRANSMISSION data on the engine block.

Any transmission data will to molded ot stamped into the trnamissioin itself, or on a plate that is bolted to the transmission.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You seem to totally miss the point. You seem to be implying that if the truck moves while parked in gear it will start. Am I correct or did I miss something?

Reply to
Mike Dobony