Double Clutching?

I'm of the habit of double-clutching when driving any kind of truck, especially when gearing down and am wondering if this is better/worse/no difference when driving my '85 Jeep CJ7? Any opinions?

Reply to
griffin

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I usually find I am double clutching when I am having 'fun' and riding the gears for power and snap. My wife will catch it too and comment about 'don't have too much fun now'....

The CJ7 Borg Warner World Class T-5 doesn't really seem to mind anyway. It's shift is supposed to be more of a European 'feel' than the American transmissions, hence the name.

What tranny are you running?

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Unnecessary on a fully synch'd transmission. Keep in mind everytime you engage and disengage a clutch you are causing wear.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If your synchros are in good shape, this is not necessary. It is good to run the engine speed up to match it with the ground speed and the new gear ratio, but you don't need to double clutch to do this.

Reply to
CRWLR

Someone wanna explain double-clutching? I've heard it in reference to NASCAR drivers and stuff....but never had it explained to me!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

are you sitting in the truck on the right Bill ;)

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

gotta get good at it to be fast at it I guess.

Was this what had to be done on manual trannys from back in teh day?

Reply to
SteveBrady

HAH

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Stock tranny in a 4cyl 150CI '85 CJ7. I'd be assuming it would be a TF904? Anyone wanna confirm?

Reply to
griffin

Ya, it takes awhile to get fast at it. I used to practice in my Saturn SL1 all the time just for kicks. In a car that can handle the speed with a short throw (ie: Honda Prelude ...or, believe it or not, an older '93 Ford Probe), I can double clutch faster than most people can regular-clutch. Car-wise, though, I know it's impractical. I was just wondering about the synchro in big Truck trannies ...

Reply to
griffin

Ya, this makes sense to me, especially in a car, but it just seems to shift easier and ride smoother when I double-clutch. Maybe I guess the trick is to just single clutch but add a bit of time between the neutral and the next gear?

Reply to
griffin

How many gears? I have never heard of the numbers you give for a standard tranny. Double clutching don't work for shit on an automatic....

I was told and a site confirmed that the 83 to 86 BW T-5's were the same as the one Mustang among a bunch others use for their V-8's. Jeep even recommended ATF for one or two years then went back to proper gear oil by 85.

Not really a 'truck' tranny although with that long shift arm on it, it sure feels like it some days....

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just burp the gas, no need to burp the clutch pedal too.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's 5spd. I got my info from a site Bill had posted awhile back:

It's a 5spd, I4 150CI. "From 1980-1986, the TF999 was used with the I6 and V8 and the TF904 was used with the I4." Unless it's the T-5 they also mention on that page? Not exactly sure why there appears to be two sets of model #'s there ...anyone care to explain?

Reply to
griffin