Clutch problem?

1989 Toyota SR5 Ext Cab V6 EFI 5speed manual 250,000 miles+

She runs great, but when i first engage into gear, (1-5th) somtimes it pops out, or when im shifting from 3rd to 4th it wont engage without unessicary pressure on the shifter. ive read through here and found a couple things that could be causing it, but i figured i would post and hope to get any advice i could. thanx in advance

""I would proceed to put the clutch in first, and the stick would "slip" or move back into neutral. This would happen as I release the clutch pedal. At first, holding the stick in the gear seemed to work, but then the gear grinded a bit, so that was a no go. I then tried second gear, and it worked fine. When I tried to go into third gear, it did the same thing. ""

Reply to
Chris

Try replacing the shift lever bushings. Cheap and easy.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams

It could be the nylon bushing that the sticks sits in. It's a fairly simple repair that pretty much consists of removing the stick boot and stick to get to it. There was a site that had a how-to with part numbers, etc. but I can't seem to find it. I thought it was on Roger Brown's site, 4crawler.cruiserpages.com. Roger may be able to help though.

Reply to
mazdaman85

Reply to
mazdaman85

I have some slop in the shift liver in my '88 22R - 4-speed trans. I assume it has the same arrangement (probably different part numbers, of course).

Gotta get out my Chilton's and see if they managed to include an exploded view. I wish I'd bought a Haynes... : I found the link!

Reply to
TOM