Configure a Tacoma

The 1st pick up I owned in 1980 was a Toyota. I've since had 3 S-10's and am getting ready to replace my current one. I'm going back to Toyota. Other than wanting the Access Cab, I'm open to the options. I don't do true off road driving, but I do drive in areas with many poor rail road crossings, heavily rutted roads, large cinder / slag. I'm leaning towards a 4x4. If you were buying a Tacoma for this type of driving, how would you configure it? What options should I specify? 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder?

Thanks for your comments

Reply to
Bob

How mileage sensitive are you?

I STILL LOVE my V6 4x4 Access Cab after two years.

I get ~ 20 MPG w/ 6 sp manual in conservative highway driving, and

17-18 mixed. My worst tank has been 12 MPG, which was towing w/ 4wd in snowy conditions on very short trips. I have mileage data for almost every tank in Quicken.

I use 4wd often and tow a 6'x12' woodworking trailer. I find 4wd Lo gets me and my trailer across nice lawns without wheelspin (and turf damage!), but not everyone wants 4wd.

Take a good long test with both engines. While the 4 banger may be OK for you if you don't tow, the truck is much heavier than older models, so check it for yourself.

DRIVE BOTH!

Reply to
Bonehenge

What will you be towing or hauling, other than people? And, what about snow? People here seem to agree that 4WD should only be used on slippery surfaces, or risk damaging the whateverframmisassembly.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom