engine acts like it hitting a rev limiter at 2300 rpm HELP!!!!!!!!!

86 22re The truck acts like it is hitting a rev limiter at 2300 rpm. up until that point the engine runs fine with no missing. I have tried new plug wires and a new coil. Please help.
Reply to
nt2shby

Have you cleaned the throttle body, used Chevron Techron in gas to clean injectors, changed air filter and replaced the gas filter? Did you change dist cap with the plug wires? I stick with the OEM plug wires and distributor cap - others aren't as good I've found -- same with plugs NGK or Nippondenso.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I had a Datsun that acted like that. Turned out the exhaust pipe had collasped inside. Looked OK outside but was very restrictive inside. We diagnosised the problem by disconnecting the exhast pipe at a joint just behind the header.

Regards,

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Connecting a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold would also have pointed you to that diagnosis. :^) Uncharactericly low manifold vacuum at moderate engine load would have been observed.

Reply to
Philip

Good point - after checking the other items I mentioned - it could be a cloughed catalytic converter - or a potato up the exhaust pipe!

Reply to
Wolfgang

found problem the o2 sensor was faulty. replaced it and engine runs great.

Reply to
nt2shby