Engine Parts Cleaning Solvent?

What is the best solvent for cleaning engine parts such as the oil pan, valve covers, cam shaft, etc. that have a heavy tar sludge buildup? Gregg

Reply to
glacb

I buy xylene at Home Depot and it really gets the job done when combined with a brass brush. A metal pan is required as the stuff will break down most plastics. I have a special chemical-resitant polymer pan that I use.

Be careful with the valve covers - if they are like mine, they are made of some type of resin or plastic. I used the xylene to clean them, but did not let them soak in it and washed them really well with detergent afterwards. I would think they would become discolored if exposed to the stuff for too long.

One final note. Xylene is a an aromatic (benzene like) coumpound and is covered by SARA Title III as a red label chemical. It's bad news for the environment and anyone using it should take care to dispose of it properly.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Varsol - is available from some gas stations and heating oil companies. Is not flash dangerous like gasoline or kerosene.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Did a quick search on varsol and sound this interesting page -

You should be able to find one of these nearby, either VM&P Naphtha or mineral spirits at any home improvement store or a regional oil distributor. Even good old paint thinner is in this family. If you are lucky, you can find one of the specialized degreasers like 1,1,1 trichlorethylene (my favorite) or the clothing dry-cleaning solvent perchloroethylene ("perc").

And it all depends on the goop you're trying to clean off, one solvent may not even dent it, another will take the gunk off with a swipe, and a third will take the gunk, the paint, the primer, and half the plastic base material... So don't get 5 gallons right off, get a pint of each and see what works for you.

BE VERY CAREFUL when using any solvent, especially when they're flammable or can have skin contact. Read the instructions. Try the safest one first, if it doesn't work move up to the nastier ones.

And if the chemical you want to try specifies that you use personal protective devices like goggles, gloves, plastic apron, a respirator, etc. proper ventilation, be smart and do what they ask. If it's flammable, make sue to have an extinguisher on hand and eliminate all nearby ignition sources.

You only have two eyes, when you lose them they send you home - life goes on, but it gets infinitely more complicated.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If you search your local oil supply wholesalers for a product called Solvent

140 or some call it Solvent 142. (I can buy it through our oil recycler also, but it costs about 50% more than oil wholesaler). It has a much higher flash point than most cleaners therefore you can safely dispose of it in used oil, legal in Indiana may not be in other states. It also doesn't irritate or cause symptoms by skin contact. Does a good job cleaning, not quite as good as mineral spirits or cleaning gas but if you let it soak longer or brush a little more it produces the same results. Our wash tank has an agitator so I use it for items that are baked on.
Reply to
davidj92

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote

Perc is a very effective solvent that is also non-flammable. Unfortunately, it is also a known carcinogen.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Anyone try any of those orange oil type cleaners on their truck yet? I used the stuff (specifically "Orange Clean", but I've also used the knock-off brands, they're just weaker) on the burners to my stove, cast iron skillet, and the grate to my grill, and it cuts a lot of gunk, especially when assisted with a wire brush. Not sure how it would work for engine parts. It's fairly safe to use, which is why I mention it.They make an aerosol spray foam, which I've also used, but it requires ventilation. No flammability/explosiveness issues or carcinogens, smells pretty decent. Might just have to rinse it super good afterward so it doesn't react to anything, eh?

For the worst of the burnt on stove stuff (and it was really bad) I sprayed it on full strength and just let it sit a while to loosen up. I'd be interested to see what automotive uses it has, except there's not really anything I need to clean on my truck, except the interior. Else I'd go out and give it a shot myself. :)

Reply to
Pookerz

Reply to
fixitman