Fiesta 1.1 CFI failed emissions

Hi, my 1994 Fiesta 1.1 CFI has failed its MOT on the emissions test.

I followed the advice of giving the car a good run to get it up to temperature, and requested the tester do the emissions first thing while it was still hot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Limits Actual value Engine oil temperature >= 80 deg. 98 deg

Fast Idle Test:

Engine speed: 2750-3150rpm 2810 Pass CO:

Reply to
Frank McWurter

Christian McArdle

Have you ensured the breather system is clean and the oil cap is recent?

Common source of problems is the coolant sensor below the inlet manifold

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'd change the plug leads as well.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

If anything its running slightly lean with a lambda of 1.055

Reply to
Frank McWurter

I've not checked those - will look at them tomorrow. How do I check the coolant sensor? What voltage/resistance should it be?

So you don't think its the Cat? I hope it isn't 'cos they aint cheap! Unfortunately going back and forth to the MOT station paying retest fees isn't cheap either so I may just replace the cat anyway.

Reply to
Frank McWurter

Reply to
Dave Griffs

oooppps, sorry about the top posting! I'll try to be more careful!

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Forgot to mention, you will also need new gaskets & may need new mounting hardware, cost me about another £10 when I did mine.

Reply to
Dave Griffs