Flywheel resurfaceing?

Guys,

I am in the process of putting a new Kevlar clutch in my 4runner. 94, V6. I am wondering if the flywheel should be resurfaced or not.

it looks undamagd. You can still see the groves from turning but they are very smoothed out from the old clutch. No damage visible on the wheel...

The manufacturer of the clutch says to grind the flywheel.... but soes anybody do that? arent they usually turned?

Should the flywheel be super smooth or rough?

Oh and what a PITA it is to replace the crank seal.

How does one take out the oilpan? This is a HUGE PITA .. had to drop the diff, but dont knwo how to get the pan back in :( Any ideas? Couldnt get the steering stuff off to slip the oilpan through the front

Matt

"" wrote: > Guys, > > I am in the process of putting a new Kevlar clutch in my > 4runner. 94, > V6. I am wondering if the flywheel should be resurfaced or > not. > > it looks undamagd. You can still see the groves from turning > but they > are very smoothed out from the old clutch. No damage visible > on the > wheel... > > The manufacturer of the clutch says to grind the flywheel.... > but soes > anybody do that? arent they usually turned? > > Should the flywheel be super smooth or rough? > > Oh and what a PITA it is to replace the crank seal. > > How does one take out the oilpan? This is a HUGE PITA .. had > to drop > the diff, but dont knwo how to get the pan back in :( Any > ideas? > Couldnt get the steering stuff off to slip the oilpan through > the front > > > Matt

It sounds okay to me but you could break the glaze of the flywheel with some 120 grit sand paper if you want to. I have mixed opinions of some of this exoic clutch because they do not engage and play the same as a stock clutch. When I need more cluch, I go to a bigger diameter stock style clutch and/or a stronger pressure plate too.

Reply to
SnoMan

I ended up having it ground today to get it over with ... guy said pressure plate cant be ground .. so i left it.

True, many exotic clutches lack a little in the driveablity department.... I hope mine will work well :)

I tried to find a bigger flywheel/clutch but couldnt find it .. IMO the supra flywheel is bigger and bolts in but I couldnt research it and found no info... for the PITA it would be I stuck with stock.

In Toy V6 you CAN NOT exceed 1600 lbs on your pressure plate or it kills slave cyl and crank bearings. So stay away from the "super gripper 2500 lbs" clutch.

Matt

Why not get it lightened while your at it! Cost stuff all over a resurfacing job. Make it rev just a little bit easier

Reply to
Scotty

TRD made a 8" clutch set.

While you have the flywheel off change the rear seal.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

actually for more low end torque (vehicle is used off road only) i would want it heavier :)

I dont think they make it anymore :( I tried to find it but no luck ... dealers here (canada) are clueless too.

100%! but what a PITA that is ...oilpan needs to comeout (BIG PITA).

At the same time I am resealing the oilpan and tranny seal

An make it easier to stall too at light throttle take offs from a stand still and on hard dumping the clutch stats it adds more strain to crank because there is less mass in flywheel to help overcome momentum of drivetrian being static. (you will have to rev it up higher to get same launch) It can also make engine feel a bit less smoot at lower RPMs because of reduced mass in a lighten flywheel to absorb power pulses. They can be more pain than gain in a daily driver.

Reply to
SnoMan