GOD DAMN TOYOTA'S

These things are built like a god damn Chinese puzzle box.
Every time I think things are starting to go good something else happens.
Is there anyone alive on this group?
I took off this support beam to theoretically be able to remove the oil pan, which I had high hopes of being able to do. Now I find that the bolts at the back are partially covered by a plate on the transmission, with no full access to the bolts.
According to videos I've seen on YouTube, they said I was supposed to be able to get it off. Now after re-watching the video, although they say it can be removed, they didn't have it completely off, just had the front dropped down with the back still attached.
The back bolts are partially covered by the plate on the transmission.
I wanted to take off the oil pan and clean it out good after putting on a new timing chain, and retainers.
This whole engine is put together in such a way that I have to take apart all sorts of things to get at what I need to work on.
YouTube videos show so many different engine configurations that Toyota must change things just so they won't be the same from year to year, and the 1997 Toyota Tacoma looks like they made sure it was extra convoluted. They couldn't make it where you can easily access everything. Its like they throw a carrot to a starving man. You think you've finally got it, but in reality your blocked again.
If I had some special end wrenches that are bent just right, I still don't think it could be removed on the back end.
This Toyota has given me years of good service, but before I buy another new car, I'll have it up on a rack and see how everything goes together before I decide.
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 9:19:33 AM UTC-6, Albert Hodge wrote:

[...]

there are people still around that might be able to help, but there are als o more modern web forums out there, ESPECIALLY for Tacomas, that have a lot more activity and you might have an easier time fielding suggestions from.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/