Help! Truck quit - Any ideas?

I have a 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner with about 38K for miles. Today as I was ready to leave work, the truck started as normal. As soon as I shifted into reverse, there was a "thunk", the truck quit moving (it had moved only a few inches), immediately followed by the engine quitting. I shifted back into park and tried to restart the engine. There was plenty of cranking power, but the engine would not start. The gear shift is also now stuck in park. Anybody have any ideas what may have happened?

Reply to
majord51

You didn't say if was a 6 or 4 cylinder, but my guess is that you broke a camshaft chain/belt. That would explain why it will crank but not start. It is understandable that you can't get it out of Park; the transmission is interlocked with the ignition and designed to not shift out of Park unless the engine is running. Get thee to a mechanic. You'll need a tow truck.

-Cyberbilly

Reply to
Cyberbilly

I had the Tacoma (V-6 PreRunner) towed to the dealership. What they found was water and other contaminants in the gas tank. They had to remove and clean the tank, the fuel lines, clean the injectors and replace the spark plugs. That plus the tow to the dealership (in a neighboring city) was $375.

I had just filled the tank a few days previously at my usual station. I have been attempting to contact the manager regarding this, but so far I have not been successful.

This was with Shell gasol>

Reply to
majord51