HOW DO I GET THE FOG LIGHTS TO WORK W/O THE HEADLIGHTS BEING ON?

Hey guys I have a 2005 Tundra and always wanted to get the fog lights to turn on without having to turn the headlights on. Is that possible?

Reply to
Jett81

On 18 Sep 2006 15:22:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com found these unused words floating about:

Sure, once you've stopped shouting ...

Trace the wiring back and find a spot to break in with a switch and small fuse hooked directly to the +12V.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

No.

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

You can always modify it - but you may not want to... They are wired that way for a specific reason, and the hassle of a 'fix-it ticket', or worse a moving violation ticket that will put points on your record, might change your mind...

Many states have a law (I know California does - CVC 24403) that you have to have the low-beam headlights on before the fog lights come on, so Toyota wires USA-bound cars that way at the factory.

Flip to parking lights only, fog lights go off. Flip to high-beams, fog lights go off - though if you have driving lights, they can come on with the high-beams only (CVC 24402).

And even if it's legal in your state, remember that there are others you can drive into in your wanderings, and they might have them...

Be thankful you aren't elsewhere - in Saudi Arabia they have a nanny buzzer alarm built into the car that goes off continuously if you drive over the national speed limit, which is the KPH equivalent of around 55 MPH.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Actually we _are_ elsewhere. Remember the switches under the seats to force us to wear seat belts? No doubt more wonderfullness is on the way.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

That "Nanny Buzzer" seatbelt system went away after a few years.

The auxiliary light rules have been around for a while, and they do make sense - too many fools running around with marker lights and fogs because all Amber "looks cool" - and people coming the other way that either didn't realize the car was moving, or at least not that fast. An optical illusion that can kill.

That, or a Yahoo with 5KW of Off Road lights being used On Road, plus highbeams, plus Driving Lights, all aimed wrong, coming at you on a country road, melting your retinas - and then you drive straight into the ditch because you were totally Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a Deuce, another roller in the night...

(Don't worry, Rigger - Hachiroku will get that last one...) ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I would be happy to see them fix it so that headlights come on with the windshield wipers.

Reply to
Noon-Air

If a few more states codify it, they probably will. It's simple enough to do.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Is thar a news group for just tundras

Reply to
Kyle Kessler

on my 06 tacoma, I took power from a 12volt switched line and applied that to the FOG relay in the main fuse box. See:

you want specific details ( for a tacoma ) I leave my fog lightson all the time.

Reply to
Jack Snodgrass