Oil Leak Questions/ Speculations 85 22r

History; Ok, the deal with my oil leak is that its been pretty persistent for about four years now. I havent payed much attention to it other than putting about a quart in every 300 miles or so. Now i want to fix it. I have gone through two crankshaft oil seals. The cause of which was was driving around with the oil cap off.

Speculation; I never leave oil where i park. However when i check the engine compartment it is disgustingly oily. So this leads me to believe that it is either the front or rear crankshaft oil, or something like a gasket (head, timing?) Im pretty sure it's not the oil pan gasket because of where the oil concentrates, and the lack of oil where i park.

Questions; I have included pictures so it can be told in images as well as words. you can see them here

you would look it would help me quite a bit. I cleaned the engine about aweek ago when i was doing a valve clearance adjustment. when i checked backin on it today, it looks as though oil is concentrating around the waterpump. This had to be replaced about a year ago. however i had the leakbefore that. If it is the front crankshaft seal, then is it a possibility ofthe crankshaft being notched? and if so how should i fix it. Also, what do ilook for reference to the rear seal? does the included photo help? Please help with any comments or suggestions anyone might have. It would be a great service to me. thanks again

Reply to
Daniel Garrison

The rear seal leaks into the bellhousing, so you'd find oil there. The front seal leaks onto the crank, which slings it everywhere. There is a sleeve available for the crank to correct a worn crankshaft when replacing the seal. Apparently the seal can wear a groove into the crank deep enough that a new seal will leak almost immediately.

Reply to
max-income

Thanks for the advice. Did you see the pictures? are they representative of what you describe?

Reply to
Daniel Garrison

Didn't see the pics.

Reply to
max-income

can anyone look at the pics and give me an idea?

Reply to
Daniel Garrison

hey ive been trying to track my oil leak on my 83 toy. It has an 86 22r and leaks look really similar to yours. The only thing is the top of my tranny is wet with oil. I have new rear and front crandshaft seals, oil pan, valve cover. I believe its leaking out of the head, but not sure, there a back plate on the head that im not sure what its purpose is but it might be that, I go through 3 or 4 quarts in about 200 miles. I can let is sit there and idel all day and it wont leak but it only seams to leak when I am driving at higher speeds. I wish i new what the hell it was. I am going to retorqe the head bolts to see if that will help.

Reply to
madwolf