Re: Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

On 9/13/2010 9:00 AM, George wrote:

I stay out of crappy neighborhoods, especially after dark. If your area of your city qualifies as crime-ridden, that is a hint to move elsewhere. It simply isn't a major concern. I got my car broken into several times at work 20+ years ago, so I started getting there early so I could get a spot inside the secure perimeter. I moved out of the apartments that were going section-8 to get away from people like that. Only been broken into at a shopping center once, and they were idiots- used a slap-hammer on the hatchback, when the doors were unlocked. Knock on wood, haven't been a crime victim in over 5 years, since I moved to this blue-collar subdivision with the nosy retirees and the dogs. (Only downside is I have to sit outside on Halloween to pass out candy, because a single guy in a house still gets the fisheye from 'normal' people.)
--
aem sends...

Try a bullet hole in a prominent front facing window. I inadvertently lauched a wayward slug through my 2nd story bedroom window overlooking my street side garage/driveway. Only had one theft of two unsecured stainless steel kegs. My fault, as I left them in plain sight. Other than that, no probs in 10 yrs, despite living half a block from a high school.
People used to ask, "Is that a bullet hole?" "Yes", I'd reply. "How did it get there?", they'd invariably follow with. "Kinda makes ya' wonder, don't it!", was my final word on the subject. Worked infinitely better than that lame old sign, "This property protected by Smith and Wesson". ;)
nb

Bingo! Moved from SFBA to rural CO Rockies. Shoulda done it 30 yrs ago. Between Fido and Ruger, no one touches cars parked outdoors. ....and I haven't heard a single car alarm in 3 yrs.
nb
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:30:47 -0400, "First of One"

What the bloody fuck does that have to do with preventing catalytic converters?
--
http://desertphile.org
Desertphile wrote:

Well, a Senate committee is part of the group that mandated we have catalytic converters in the first place. If not for them, this conversation would not be taking place...

The federal Clean Air Act was amended by Congress in 1973 to mandate catalytic converters for all 1975 model-year cars. There was talk of delaying the imposition for a year or two past 1975, to give automakers a change to better develop catalytic converters, but they actually delayed it until 1981 (IIRC).
Honda's CVCC system was much more cost-effective than, and just as effective as, a catalytic converter, but with the imposition of the cat law, Honda halted further development of CVCC, since it suddenly became a legal dead-end.
Cats remain mandatory to this day.
--
Tegger

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:18:09 -0500, "HeyBub"

Ah, that's 100% true. :-) Okay, I concede the fact that legislators cause catalytic converter theft. We should put them in prison.
--
http://desertphile.org

Same old thing, druggies need $$$, crooks [read auto parts 2nd hand dealers] need 'stock'!

Not because of catalytic converter thefts, but scrap dealers around here are now required to get positive ID (as much as a thumb print, so I'm told) from anyone who brings in scrap. Much noise was made about a few who were caught with the guts from heat pumps and the incidence has fallen off sharply. String 'em up and post their heads on a pike; few will follow.

Like all anti-theft measures, all you can expect to accomplish is to get the perp to pick on someone else.