Remote Start

Is it possible to put a remote start on a 1981 pickup? Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Reply to
jasperkat

Automatic transmission? Not too hard. Have one on my Cruiser because it came with the alarm, never use it except as a plaything. (Though I can see the value where it's real hot or real cold outside, and you need the car warm and ready to drive away when you get in.)

Manual transmission? Fuhgeddaboudit. You need a neutral safety switch on the transmission to safely hook up a remote start system, and /very/ few sticks have them. Toyota's don't. And I wouldn't try to cockamamie one up yourself, the results of starting it in gear could be disastrous.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You do need to get a special set-up for a remote-starter to work on a manual transmission, but they are pretty commonplace now. When you go in to get one, just let the dealer/installer know and they can hook it up pretty easily. It will cost extra, but if you need one its worth it.

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Raksashan

the remote start ($80) would be worth more than the truck, Heck a full tank of gas doubles the trucks value.

Reply to
I'm Right