Remove vinyl flooring on '88 basic pickup

I'm trying to pull the shifter on my low-end pickup, but it looks like I have to pull up the original vinyl flooring to get to the 4 screws
holding the rubber shifter boot. The shifter boot sits directly on top of the vinyl. Do I need to take out the bench seats, jambs (not sure if that's the right term) at the bottom by each door, and plastic kick plates in each footwell in order to be able to lift up the vinyl floor so I can unscrew the shifter? There aren't any screws accessible from on top of the vinyl. This is the really cheap base model, so there's nothing surrounding the rubber shifter boot.
I'm trying to replace the shifter seat, which is why I'm trying to get the shifter out
It's been a long time since I had a base model truck, but I seem to recall that I took the plastic runners off the bottom of the door openings and simply folded the rubber mats where I wanted them to go.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. There don't seem to be too many experts on the "el cheapo" models. I'll start with the plastic runner by the door sill and try to fold it over. If that doesn't work, then it looks like I'll have to pop the front bench seat bolts as well.

I put some carpet in my El Cheapo Toyota Truck many years ago. I had a business radio (one of those 2-way radios that are replaced today by NexTels), and had to wire under the rubber mat. I don't remember having to remove seat bolts. I recall the rubber for the front part of the cab as having simple clips along the edges that were easily removed from holes in the cross member.

I didn't have any problem at all wiring up 2 radios and multiple antennas in my '05 Tundra. A lot of the wires got run under the floor mat with no problem. see pics here; http://new.photos.yahoo.com/noon_air/album/576460762351274778 Just use a coat hanger to fish and pull wires under the mat. didn't have to pull the seats or the door sills.

FWIW, the bench is easy to unbolt. I think 4 bolts hold it down. One person can take out with no problem, but an extra person would be much easier.
BTW do they make carpet kits for this?

Site Timeline