Replacing windshield on 1990 Truck

Does anyone have any comments on replacing a windshield on a 1990 Toyota truck.

Reply to
Art Vandolay

Had my '88 1/2 ton 2WD pickup done a auto glass shop for $130.00 out the door.

I watched him do it, I'd never attempt it myself.

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

I agree with Tom; have it done at a shop. IMO, the "addressless" shops, aka "Mobile Repair", etc., should be avoided! The use of OE clips to hold the chrome strip is recommended. Bear in mind that there are (at least) two pricing schemes for windshield replacements: WITH-insurance, and WIHOUT-insurance. The $130 price is typical for a WITHOUT-insurance job. WITH-insurance job will run $250+. A variation of the WITH-insurance job, will be a $100 "kickback" for "deductible". (...this may be a clue why insurance rates keep getting higher and higher.)

Reply to
Ms. Manners

Gotta agree with you on the 2 prices! State Farm sends you to a middle man (company) that then farms it out. I originally thought I has a $100 deductable so was not going to put in a claim. Me paying - price was $125. After I learned that I had no deductable I went thru insurance and the bill to them was $450. Same service, same windshield --- go figure!

Reply to
Wolfgang