Rough Idle in El Salvador

I have a 98 Tacoma 4X4 with 96,000 miles, automatic, 4 cylinder. It runs great, but when I stop at a traffic light, etc., it idles rough. Does not seem to be a low idle. I usually put it in neutral and it helps a little. I'm not tech savvy with the newer automotive electronics (was shocked to find there was no distributor!) so please keep it simple. Also, as a missionary in El Salvador, the technology to test and qualified mechanics are rare if they exist at all. Please advise.

Reply to
ElBob

First thing to check would be plugs and wires, how long sinse the last tune-up? You may just need the throttle body cleaned, if it has never been done before.

Reply to
Mike

I changed the plugs, air and fuel filters and it did not seem to have any affect. If it we back in the 70's I would suspect a vacuum problem. Does this seem likely? When accelerating it runs fine, no hesitation, etc.

Reply to
ElBob

A vacuum leak may be a possibility. On fuel injected cars a small vacuum ussualy will cause an increase in idle speed as the computer is able to compensate to a small degree. A large leak would likely cause a hesitation and may turn on the check engine light. You can check for a vacuum leak by spraying carb cleaner at the intake gaskets and vacuum lines. You will notice a change in engine rpm's if you find the leak. You may need to hook it up to a decent scan tool that will let you read the sensor values while the vehicle is running to determine what is wrong.

Reply to
Mike

Seems to be a universal truth.

Reply to