Tacoma Front License Plate Bracket?

I live in a state that requires a front tag. I bought a Tacoma last week. I understand that the general practice is to attach the front plate to the bumper by driving two self-tapping screws through my beautiful, new, virgin bumper. The plate then eats into the paint and the plastic over time. I've even read that the plate may stick out at a 30-degree angle, following the top contour of the bumper.

I have seen pics of trucks whose owners have attached the front plate to a structure under the engine. One guy said he used existing holes to do it, but I see none.

Is there anything like a proper bracket out there? Or something better? Thanks very much for any advice you can give me.

Reply to
Dr. Personality

Yeah it's pretty bad Toyota didn't want to send the $ to put a plate frame on. I just brought a black plastic frame and put the plate in that,but it 's still mounted the same.

Reply to
rb

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:24:48 -0500, "rb" found these unused words floating about:

On my '02, there as two holes up high, so that you could 'hang' the plate from top screws. Found that that interfered with 4x4ing, so mounted the plate by the bottom and then bent the plate. Large plastic washers behind the plate and velcro felt on the top of the plate to provide a buffer space. I did not put the hooks velcro on the car, just the felt (loops) on the plate.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Thank you both for your input. I guess I'll just have to put holes in the bumper. (At least they've indicated where to do that, but it's pretty surprising that they couldn't throw in a plate holder, too.)

Reply to
Dr. Personality

You might consider using threaded inserts or well nuts to attach your plate bracket. Make a much neater job and if you move someplace where the front plate isn't necessary, you can use some color coridinated push pins to cover the holes.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I think I'd like that better than using the self-tappers. Thanks.

Reply to
Dr. Personality

Ask at places that do commercial truck accessories like van shelving and racking..

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I live in California, and our Tacoma had a front plate that was mounted to the bumper. We bought it used, but my recollection is that there was hardware that was attached to existing holes used to mount the grille, or something.

In any case, there was no need to drill new holes, nor were there any unsightly holes that resulted from the previous owner going crazy with his screw gun.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm pretty sure it is a violation of state law to sell or offer for sale any car or truck that can not have the required number of license plates affixed. The parts _might_ be available for a fee because there are people that will remove the front plate, then sell the car or truck through private channels then disappear. In this instance, the buyer would be burdened with installing a front plate, and would need to buy the hardware.

But a NEW car or truck must have the necessary hardware to make the vehicle legal to operate on every street and highway in the country, this would include a mounting bracket for license plates.

I got a car dealer to install a new windshield in a used car because the one that was there was broken. I objectd on the grounds that a broken windshield was a violation of the law, therefore he must repair it before he could offer the car for sale. I suggest the same is true for a front plate. They do not provide the plates, DMV does that, but they have to provide the place to mount the plate.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Not true. If it is not required in the state it is sold (mine), It is not required to be part of the package.

And many cars/trucks come without them, dealers put them on as the OP mentioned, by using self tapping screws on a plastic bumper.

Many dealers put them on and put plates that are ads for their dealership if a registration plate is not required. I've had to get an agreement, as part of the deal, that if the dealership forgot and punched holes in my ordered vehicle to put his ad plate on, I would refuse acceptance and require a loaner vehicle until a new bumper came in to replace the ruined bumper.

Those plates add just a little more wind resistance to a vehicle, and I have no desire to run a continuous ad for the dealership.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Okay, but if the plate IS required, then the stealership (manufacturer) is required to bring the vehicle legal before they can put it on the street. The automakers provide the means to mount plates without drilling new holes. If a dealer makes holes, they are doing it because they are lazy/cheap/ignorant.

Come on Frank, that's absurd. the ad plates are cardboard, and come off easily. In most states, the license plate is required, and the plate takes the place of the placard. If there is a placard, you can be sure there is a bracket to hold the front plate.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Where in the world do some of you folks come up with these wild and inane comments about "legality"? There is no law that says you cannot sell a vehicle without a front license plate bracket!!!There is no law that says you cannot sell a vehicle with a broken windshield!! License plates on the front bumper are not mandated in all states!! A broken windshield in many states is perfectly legal , as long as it "does not impair the vision of the driver"!!.................................

But, I guess it makes for "nice type" to make statements as fact. Any reputable dealer wouldn't offer a car for sale with a broken windshield. Not because it was illegal, but for salability. Besides, most dealers have a facility that does this for a very nominal price due to volume....

Reply to
Bill Hall

Also not true. I've purchased two vehicles brand new in the last ten years that had no provision (factory) for mounting the plate bracket. It's up to the dealer how neat he wants to be.

Absurd? Metal in my case and very nicely done, however, I don't care if they come off by themselves, I don't want the plate or the bracket on the front of my vehicle. Obviously, you can't read, yes there is a bracket, the one that is installed by the dealer by popping four self tapping screws through the bumper. The first vehicle he did that to I got caught, the second I stated what I stated above about ommitting it. That's a preference and not subject to a right or wrong argument unless you are just a troll and that's your game.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Many people seem to forget you can sell a vehicle in any condition.

The sale of a vehicle has nothing to do with the legality of driving it on a public road. Heck, you don't HAVE to register it, ever, as long as you're trailering it home!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Stick some thin weather stripping on the back of the license plate and it won't scratch your bumper.

Reply to
skipfromla

Apparently my state is different. Our cars leave the lot with a capacity for a front plate. It's the law.

How agressively is the law enforced? Not very ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:11:22 GMT, "Bill Hall" found these unused words floating about:

The 'key' word is -=many=-! In -=some=- states, perhaps that of the poster, one/both are contrary to either state or local laws. Yes, they (civil authorities) -=can=- force the dealer to comply.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

\

That's a Private Party Sale. When buyinf from a Dealership, the bvehicle must be registered to get it off the lot. If it is registered, it must be legal. If a front plate is a requirement, then it must be provided. If the vehicle is NEW, then the brackets that may be necessary must be provided.

My ONLY point is, one can use this as leverage to get the mounting brackets if they are missing and the vehicle was acquired from a dealer. If one buys a car from ME, they get it in AS IS condition. If one gets a car from a dealer, they can make a stink that the vehicle does not meet legal requirements, and get the remedy for free. One ought to make that point before they leave the dealership ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You guys are crazy. There is a mounting bracket that uses existing holes, and provides a clean installation of the front plate.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland