Thule Rack System VS Yakima Rack System

I have a 1997 Xtracab Toyota T100 that I just had the 60 inch tracks put on my fiberglass camopy shell. I'm hauling a 16 foot canoe on this system hopefully when I decide on what left I have to buy. It would be nice to be able to additionaly be able to have something over and above the cab... for a good span. Looks like my only option is the Yakima Q system over the cab because Thule doesn't have a Fit Kit for the 400XT system, and Yakima does with its QTower System that fits my trucks door jam and gutter system... again, above the door???

I'd appreciate any opinions... I'm looking to buy!!!!!!

Yea... maybe it's no big deal... but it wpuld be nice to have the extra assurance that you have another anchor point right above the cab... when your screamin down the road 80 miles an hour with a 40 mile head wind???? What do ya think???

I personally see Thule as better than Yakima... not sure why... they do seem comparable!

Thanks Dan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Dan

I sell and have used both brands.

Both brands are of near identical quality.

Use the one that fits your truck properly and appeals to you.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Hello! Here on an 86 pickup with a steel gem top shell i chose to mount short "gutters" on the shell with thule risers and bars. I also haul a canoe - a

14.5 foot mad river slipper - kevlar and hold it in place with thule lumber stops. Very versatile system. Carried many things up there from lumber to mattress and box spring. When the carrier was first bought i was all excited about getting away from the "foam block" system i used and the new thule system. Wasted too much time comparing thule and yakima systems and accessories. Never found the need for anything more than the basics. Just make sure you hold everything down securely with some good ratcheting nylon straps. Don't forget the lead line on the canoe or it will be wiggling around at high speeds and looks a little scary from inside the cab. Get out there and enjoy! Bill
Reply to
William Brown

Excellent point.

I've carried boats on my Subaru, using plain old Yakima load stops, and my current Tacoma, with Thule load stops on an Xsporter.

The only thing I ever needed "specialty" mounts for were bicycles on the roof of the Subie (I don't ski).

Ditto on the nose strap. Pretty much anything that extends beyond the windshield should be secured to the bumper. On my current Tacoma, I don't bother, as the nose of the boat only reaches about the mid-point of the cab roof. On the Subie, it was a necessity, as the upforce of the windsheild is surprisingly strong.

Reply to
B A R R Y