Towing boat

Hello, I just bought a 2001 Toyota 4 Runner 2WD 6 cylinder and am hoping it can pull a boat. The boat I am looking at would be appr. 2500lbs, that includes the trailer. I am mostly worried about getting it out of the water. Any suggestions others can offer would be appreciated. Thanks! Leslie

Reply to
Nunes

Nunes found these unused words:

Provided you use the proper hitch, the V-6 should give you enough power, unless you have no traction on the ramp.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

I honestly don't think it is a V6, would a regular 6 cyl still have enough power? What kind of hitch do you recommend? Thanks!

Reply to
Nunes

I honestly don't think it is a V6, would a regular 6 cyl still have enough power? What kind of hitch do you recommend? Thanks!

Reply to
Anyolmouse

:I honestly don't think it is a V6, would a regular 6 cyl still have :enough power? What kind of hitch do you recommend? Thanks!

If it is a Toyota, it is either a 4 Banger or a V-6. Some of the guys I know have installed a hitch on the front of their 2wd PU or SUV. This way the drive wheels are in a better position to pull the boat out. Plus, you have more torque in reverse gear.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Yes, it has a V6, the same 3.4 L as the first-gen Tacoma pickup. Thanks to body-on-frame construction, 4Runners have very good towing capacity - 5000 lbs for the 3rd-gen (1995-2002). Is the tow hitch a Toyota factory hitch or an aftermarket unit? If it's a factory hitch, you are good. If it's aftermarket then check the its rating, as it could be less.

Reply to
First of One

While 4Runners always had inline-4s and V6s, the various generations of Land Cruisers have been available with torquey inline-6 motors since their inception in 1951 up to 1997.

Interesting technique. What happens after the boat is pulled out? You'd have to unhitch the trailer, make a U-turn, and put the trailer on the rear hitch.

Reply to
First of One

And when you arrive to the ramp, you have to unhitch to put the boat in front. Not a big deal considering the advantage(s) you have with the boat in front of you. Of course if you are a Texas Aggie, you drive in reverse with the boat hitched in front all of the time. It does decrease the life of the transmission though. What was that truckdriving song? "Backing all the way to Birmingham"

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I did some more research and the truck is a V^ 3.4ltr. I just bought it and haven't received it yet. It doesn't have a factory tow hitch so I will have to buy one. Thanks for the info guys!

Reply to
Nunes

I've pulled my boats out of the water on the slimmest launch ramps and had close calls using a rear hitch with a 2WD vehicle. Before I had my 4WD Tundra I used a front hitch to launch and retrieve.

As for rear hitches, I recommend you get one rated at the next level up from the one rated for what you are towing. Front hitches only get used a few minutes at a time and don't take the abuse rear hitches do so you don't need the same at both ends.

I had mine fabricated and installed by a shop that specializes in hitches for salt water launches, even though I only fish in fresh water. It's been on my tundra for 10 years and the hitch is corrosion free as is the electrical connection.

Reply to
Skipfromla

While I am not a regular boat user - I always used, and was taught to use a Rope/Strop/Cable/Chain between the trailer and the vehicle while going down the ramp so that you can keep he truck on firm non weed infested ground.

With regards te issue of rehitching the trailer, you usually finish packing/stapping the boat to the trailer once on dry land so an extar minute doesnt really matter.

Giles

Reply to
Giles Ayling

L as the first-gen Tacoma pickup. Thanks to

Thanks for the info. The truck doesn't have a factory installed tow hitch. Looks like I need to research what I will need to tow the boat. I should have bought a 4x4

Reply to
Nunes

Nunes found these unused words:

the first-gen Tacoma pickup. Thanks to

Look at Draw-Tite, they make a model specifically fo this group of Tacoma. Remove a few bots [bumper], slip in and then bolt in the braces. Class III+. You can get them from wholesalers and install with a friend - did mine [front and rear] in a half day. 2002 Double Cab.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien