Toyota oil gauge stopped working and oil still flowing

My '90 toyota pickup oil pressure dial has stopped working after I changed the oil and filter. I only drove it a few miles when I noticed it was not working. Truck has 193K miles and new oil seal was put in 3 months ago.

I waited until the next morning so all the oil would be settled in the pan. With the oil cap off I started the truck so I could see if the oil would pump from the pan to the rockers. As a result I did see the oil pumping by and spitting out the cap hole. With that, I the possible problems are:

1) Brand new oil filter was clogged from mfgr - Probably not, oil is flowing 2) Oil pump bad - Probably not, I see oil flowing 3) Oil sensor bad - Seems most likely, need to check wiring first (6) 4) Blown fuse for instraments - Checked fuse panel and nothing was blown 5) Oil Pressure gauge is bad - Might be, but, need to troubleshoot sensor first 6)Oil sensor wiring came loose -

Can anyone tell me where the sensor is mounted or where I can check wiring?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
South4t via CarKB.com

Mine did the same thing, also right after the oil change. I haven't done any checking yet, other than to verify oil IS still flowing. I am under the impression that the sending unit is bad. I had this problem in my 91 and it to was the sending unit. My current Toy is a 90 4 Runner 3VZE

Searcher Make sure oil is flowing

Reply to
Shopdog

In my old '89, the oil sending unit was above and a little back from the oil filter.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

OK all, I figured it out. I was a wire that disconnected itself when i changed the oil filter. I just had the truck in the shop where I was rapped and they did not connect it correctly. The oil pressure sending unit is a round device that is connected to the block and is directly below the oil filter. There is also a wiring harness in the area that has the female connector. So, just connect the two and your oil gauge is back in business.

Laters, Bill

Reply to
South4t via CarKB.com

I'm out to check mine now, I'll let you all know shortly.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Well, whaddaya know, I got a broken wire. Now I got a project for the day. Thanks S4t

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog