Toyota truck, horn problem

The horn on my truck does not work, no big deal until safety inspection. I checked power going to the horn, 2 wires both hot with out activating the horn.Bought a new horn still does not work. I'm lost

Reply to
cin1543

Did it used to work if you held the horn button down and turned the steering wheel, the horn would honk randomly? Been there... ;-P

The horn switch goes to ground on an older truck (non-Airbag) through a horn brush on the back of the column ignition-switch housing, and a ring on the back side of the steering wheel. The horn contact brush regularly wears out as you turn the steering wheel.

I got about 100,000 miles out of my first horn brush, then sold the truck to buy the LandCruiser not too much later. It's still on it's first one.

The dealer parts counter will have a packet with a new horn brush, a spring, and the circlips that hold it in position. You'll need a few Q-Tips and some silicone grease to clean as much dirt as possible off the horn contact ring (so the new one wears out slower) and apply some fresh silicone grease.

Oh, and a screwdriver, needle-nose pliers, and a hand mirror to see what you're doing with the Q-Tip on the contact ring without unscrewing your head...

Not particularly tricky, it becomes obvious after you get the upper steering column cover off - the screws are on the bottom that hold it together like a clamshell. (Mirror time again.) But there are little parts in the brush assembly that can go Sproing! and fly off to parts unknown, so be methodical.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

How about the relay?