Tundra V8 coolant change

I am going to do a 30000 service and it calls for a coolant change. Best coolant? Should be flushed?

Reply to
Dean W R

Red stuff from the Toyota dealer. I wouldn't worry about a complete flush if you're doing changes every

30k.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I'm not sure what coolants are "best", but might I suggest finding an animal friendly/pet-safe antifreeze when you do change it? Use one that contains propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol is found in many household lotions, toothpaste, etc, and is not *as* toxic as the commonly used ethylene glycol. Safer for any nearby critters (even if you don't own any, neighbors might, and let's not forget that children do get into things as well.)

When an animal is poisoned by antifreeze there is permanent kidney damage whether it is fatal or not. Initial signs of antifreeze poisoning are depression and lethargy. Animals may seem groggy or drunk. The final stages of poisoning are characterized by vomiting, oral and gastric ulcers, and renal failure, followed by death. The initial signs can last from 1 to 6 hours and death may occur between 3 to 4 days. It is not a pleasant death.

has this to say:ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Antifreeze Safety Tips a.. Always clean up antifreeze spills immediately. b.. Check your car regularly for leaks. c.. Always store antifreeze containers in clearly marked sealed containers and in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. d.. Never allow your pets to have access to the area when you are draining radiator fluid from your car. e.. Propylene glycol containing products are relatively less toxic form of antifreeze and should be used instead of conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze. f.. If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze or engine coolant, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at

1-888-426-4435 immediately! Just my two cents! Dee
Reply to
Pookerz

WOW! Use the Toyota stuff, and just don't let anything drink it.

Just a little overboard!

Reply to
Jody

Very informative Dee - thanks!