044 heads vs stock heads on stock size piston/barrels

Hi, First thanks to all who are helping me with this small project:

In replacing my beetlemex heads ( which have the 3/4 inch plug hole - I like that) it's been suggested I use 044 heads and I have a few questions about this

the 044's have larger intake and exhaust 40x35 vs stock ( 35intake, 32 exhaust), is there any consequence to this size difference when I am using everything else stock:( piston size and stock muffler). More power?, no difference in power?, more gas consumption?

The 044's also have stainless steel valves

I've come across a site which states: All of the stainless valves I have tested are slightly softer and wear faster than the factory stock steel unleaded valve. - from gene berg wesite

Is this true in that the 044 stainless steel valves may not last as long as the stock? To be fair, it was difficult to tell if he was talking about a head restorers choice of use of stainless steel valves when rebuilding heads or not.

I may be getting too much info and getting myself a little apprhensive, but as there is a price difference between a "normal" stock head vs the

044 of $80.00 a peice, I just like to know what I may be getting for the money. Basically, I just want something very reliable ( this is ( will be) my daily driver) and any extra power is nice in dealing with these steep Pa hills here.

Hmmm since the beetlemex heads have a 3/4" does that make them a 044 design?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it Matt S

Reply to
Matt S

an 044 does not mean it makes more power, despite the advertising ad's claims.

if you are using stock heater boxes, I suggest a ported head with stock size valves. Our product that fits this description is our L3 head, with a 30% flow increase.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly