1914 & Stock Heater Boxes = Overheating???

Are stock heater boxes incompatible with a 1914 motor? I have a recently built 1914 in my 72 SB Convertible, only 140 miles on the engine so far. Today I installed a Berg Temperature Dip Stick and after 10 minutes on the freeway (65 MPH-ish) the new temp (oil) light starts to flicker on. The outside temp was about 85?F, I assume that it it's getting a little too hot. Is it 'normal" for a new motor to run hotter, until it's sufficiently broken, if so how long does this take? The car has 040 heads, 110 cam, dual Kadrons--main jets at 145. I have an 009 distributor but the SVDA from Aircooled.net is on order along with the vacuum ported Kadron throttle body. The motor also has a Bugpack ceramic header with single quiet pack and the stock heater boxes. Is the exhaust system too constrictive and causing the overheating? Or is it likely something else??? If I need larger exhaust, is

1 1/2" OK so I can still have a functional heater or does this size motor require larger and therefore J-tubes. Any assistance, feedback experience and advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks, Theodore

Reply to
Theodore

....you are running a vert, that in itself will contribute to higher temps. Your heater boxes are borderline....going to the large bore ones would be a good idea. The valves and combo are mild enough, but the bore is still larges for stock boxes. But more importantly I do not see some very pertinent information. Such as, what compression ratio are you running? Timing? Try proping the bottom of the decklid open and going for a drive to eliminate the possibility of toom little air flow. You do have *all* your seals in place and in good condition? The fresh air hoses are hooked up as well? All tin in place? Including "hoover bit?" Weather stripping in good condition on oil cooler?

...just a few thoughts.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian