1300 camshaft plug

I am doing a total rebuild of my 63' bug. As I started to put the case back together I notice that there was one more part I needed and that was a camshaft plug. I need a new camshaft plug because when I took the engine apart the old one became distorted and not practical to put back in. So, I went down to my local parts outlet and ordered one. When the part came in and I tried to put it in the case it didn't fit well...the plug is a little to big. Also, in looking the part up in the Rocky Mountain catalog it states that the plug should be a 29.90 mm plug that fits a bug 61-79...this plug does measure 29.90 mm. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? How about a Peso? which one and date?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The plug is supposed to be "oversize", and you use sealant with it, when you push it into one case half before mating the halves. Then, you lower teh second case half in place on top of the other one, and the new plug will "crush" a little when you tighten the case bolts down.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to