alternator versus generator?

I've seen both mentioned before on air cooled VW's....whats the differences / advantages?

Reply to
GusDaDog

differences

Generators are older technology and rely on higher (engine) speeds to produce electricity, they are prone to dropping voltage as engine revs drop - sitting at traffic lights can end up with "glow worm" lights. They usually require mechanical voltage controllers external to the generator which are prone to failure - usually on the darkest, loneliest road.

Alternators use some battery power to produce a stronger magnetic field so that they produce more electricity at lower revs, they are also constructed differently allowing them to rotate at far higher speeds than a generator can. Most alternators nowadays have electronic voltage regulators built in and are very reliable.

There are probably a host of other pros and cons, but these come to mind.

Reply to
Roger Martin

for bugs... generators are easier to find.. "most cars" were set up to run with generators... the stands are similar (but not the same)... and you don't have to worry about changing the wires running through the back seat to the regulator.

We have both in cars (different cars)... if they work they work....

Our Generator will support an array of 55 watt KC Lights, headlights, running lights, interior lights and stereo without much problem.

Coolest thing about a generator????? If your battery is shot the car will run without a battery (once started)....

Coolest thing about an Alternator... you always know it's 12 volts.... then you have to guess if it's internally regulated or exernally.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead