1600cc Fuel Injected Turn Key engine south of the border

Eventually my 1977 beetle is going to need a new engine and I am now starting to have some running problems. About the Beetles made in Mexico during the late 1990's, do those engines fit on this '77? I wonder if my current electric fuel pump will work for it and if I can re-use the same muffler and heater boxes because on the late model Mexican Beetles the exhaust pipe is on the drivers side, and on the '77 it is on the passengers side.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Google: Mexibeetle engine

I bet your running problems aren't being caused by internal engine wear. A quickie compression test would sort that out.

In any event, should the engine ever need major work, you will probably be better off rebuilding it rather than buying another.

Offhand, I'm guessing the fuel pump will work on the Mexi engine and the engine should plug right in. The exhaust could be a tossup in terms of cost to swap over.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If your 77 is stock fuel injected, there little interchangeability for the things you mention.

The fuel pump is located under the tank, not on the engine and pump at higher pressure than the block mounted ones, plus there a return line. The muffler and heater boxes only work together, i.e. the pipes, boxes and muffler. Trying to reverse them would cost more to convert than buying aftermarket. BTW: I bet if you check ALL your hoses, you'll fix the engine. That is usually the culprit on the stock FI's.

Reply to
Mel P.