1835cc

Hello I'm looking for a 1835cc motor for a 1974 vw bug. in or around tennessee. I have $500. right now an I can make payments of 100 to 200 every two weeks or so. that way you can hold an i pay for. thanks if awayone can help Brian.

Reply to
greenman1923 via CarKB.com

Hi,

1835 is the worst displacement you can find. You should look for a 1776, wich will be much more reliable.

Nicolas

"greenman1923 via CarKB.com" a écrit dans le message de news:5ce1d9a004bfd@uwe...

Reply to
Nicolas Gobet

Not true, 1835 is very nice engine WHEN you have your cooling under control, meaning external radiator and good closing engine plating. I have run 30000 Km on a (self) newly build engine, without any trouble, i sold my KG recently. The fairy tale is the metal from the cilinders gets so thin it cant be good. look at the bore of a 1776 it is 90,5mm of an 1835 it is 92mm and original 1600 is 85,5 . so 5mm bigger bore is good for the 1776(they say) and 1,5 mm more it is bad. For any engine you need to take care of al thermal possible problems. So don't let people tell you it is bad. The difference in HP is not big so don't let those 60 cc's bother you to buy a 1776. Good luck hunting.

Carel

Reply to
vwcarel

Hu, that's not true.

First all aircooled need a good cooling. Read the article of Gene Berg about this, this is the best text available. (There is a kind of summary on the website).

But if you measure all the kit for the type 1 aircooled engin, you'll get those measurement :

bore | cylinder thickness (top)

85.5mm | 4.15mm 90.5mm | 3.90mm 92mm | 3.15mm 94mm | 3.60mm

-> don't buy 92mm !!!

This is not "logical" so you have to know this before buying your kit. If you plan to use a new case, get one machined for the 94mm and build a

1915cc. I've just built one for a friend with a webcam 218 + 2x 40 idf + stock crank + 041 heads and this is really a cool daily engine (120 hp). A 1776 with a "smooth" camshaft will last much longer as a stock one....

Nicolas

"vwcarel" a écrit dans le message de news:440ed343$0$21602$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader28.news.xs4all.nl...

Reply to
Nicolas Gobet

common myth that is still around due to information regurgitation.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Long time ago, I was lucky enough to win an 1835 longblock with a lightened flywheel, 110 cam, and counterweighted crank. I put it in a lowered 68 bug with a single dual 40 Delorto carb. and stinger exhaust. That sucker was incredibly fast and a blast to drive. Never had a problem with overheating except for the tires (couldn't keep rear tires on it). My brother ended up with the car and within months he had destroyed the tranaxle. If the engine is built with quality parts and well thought out, you should have no problems! Andy

Reply to
Busman

I second that. Vw Carel

Reply to