6Volt distributor conversion?

I converted a 1300, 6 volt engine to 12 volt ( crank, flywheel, generator, etc). I would think that the distributor does not need to be changed. The points, which are basically contacts are probably the same regardless of the voltage.

Am I right or do I need to change part or all of the distributor setup?

Reply to
Mel

I have never come across any problems running the stock 6V distributor on a 12V conversion. If you think of it the points will carry less Amps on

12Volts compared to 6V(P=U*I).

However the Kettering ignition system is frequency tuned, and the condenser is a part of this, so if you want to be 100% correct you would use a matching stock 12V coil and condenser. You might have to improvise when it comes to fitting/connecting the 12V condenser on the 6V coil, I cant remember what they look like.

A very simple and efficient solution would be to drop in a Pertronix points replacement module as long as you ca find a 12V version which physically fits the 6V distributor.

The simplest solution there is is to drop in a 12V distributor with matching coil. The ignition curves tend to be very similar as long as you use a non vacuum, single vacuum, or SVDA matching the setup of the original 6V distributor and vacuum ports on the carburetor.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Reply to