'71 rear brakes "locating clip" on connecting piece

['71 rear brakes "locating clip" on connecting piece] [What does it do? ok without it?] v In the Hayes '72-79 Type II manual, this is called a "locating clip" and it apparently slips over the "distance piece" near the where it connects to the hand brake lever. In Bently, it is called a "clip" [#12 figure 8-1.] and it apparently slips over the distance piece/connecting link. v What does it do? Was the return spring originally cliped to the connecting link? . . .and/or did it originally fit tight enough to limit movement of something? v In my case it fits so loose, I don't think it does anything if just slipped back on the connecting link like I found it "rusted on." It slipped off when those parts were naval jellied and brushed. I'm concerned this part is too fragile to put back because it might come off when I'm towing a 24' trailor downhill at 100mph. : )

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy

Grape Daddy

It keeps the cable from floppin around and ensures proper tension. You're right; if it breaks it will make a mess.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

This isn't near the EMR brake cable. This is up near the top.

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy

Grape Daddy

Ah, yes I see now. I bet it's only function was to prevent rattles; I don't see any critical need for it. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim