Autostick question

I'm now finishing restoring my first beetle, and I've been thinking about a new project based on a Autostick superbeetle that's been sitting on a friends garage for almost two years. Since I have no experience with autostick models, can anyone tell me about the pros and cons, regular problems, and other technical difficulties of the autostick? Will it be more difficult to get replacement parts? what other parts are incompatible besides the tranny?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

A few of the common parts are still available but it's dismal otherwise. OTOH they were pretty robust and major problems less likely.

If you were thinking of a conversion to 4-spd, look at this step-by-step:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Worse part is keeping all the vacuum hoses in tip top shape -- dealer can still provide them. Ouch wait til you need to replace the clutch! Part is 10x a normal one.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
PEPPE

Hiya Karls,

The range of responses to your question (a question which is often asked) can be a very wide one. Interestingly, many folks who do not have an AutoStick or had one some time ago will volunteer their opinion on the current situation. The result is that you may find a lot of well-intended but misinformed advice. (And to all those who have responded so far to Karls' question, I am NOT referring specifcally to you) Parts availability is more difficult than obtaining parts for a manual tranny. However, with a little persistance you can find almost everything you will need. The major problem area right now is finding the seals one would need in order to do a complete rebuild of the AS transaxle. Do be aware that the AS oil pump is a dual function device which pumps both engine oil and ATF. Other transmission-external parts are still fairly easy to find. Most online wrecking yards can supply your needs.

Mike

1970 AS Bug
Reply to
Bookwus1

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

last I priced a clutch for one it was about $30 more than a regular one... this was a couple months ago...

Reply to
VWGirl

Thanks for your help Jim, I plan to stay with the autostick, It's working just fine, I just had to clean up the car and clean the carburator. The Transmission is working really well, But the hoses are not in top shape. That's not a major problem, so I'll stick to it.

BTW, your website has been really helpful.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Not sure if my point was made..... swap out the hoses... start looking for a standard tranny for the "if it dies" day.

I own an Autostick in one of ours... if it works they're great... parts and knowledge are tough.

Much like Fuel Injection... it's finding the easiest/cost effective way to keep it on the road.

IF ANYONE wants an autostick (working) core, I have one in Minneapolis they can have FREE.... I've driven it and removed the bolt-on bell housing. Contact me at

tsunde at isd.net

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

what year autostick?

Reply to
VWGirl

I believe it was a 74... came off a standard.

It's been a year since I removed it... Just opened up the case last week... good donor gears for anyone's rebuild.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead