75 Bus Questions

We just got a '75 bus, and for the most part, it runs fine. We drove it for a few weeks around town with no problems. Now, when driving it around, almost every time I step on the clutch (after being in gear) the oil light flickers. A couple of times the light was pretty steady. The light is NEVER on while in gear or while giving the engine gas. At about about the same time, we noticed the idle sounded a bit low.

The first thing we tried was cleaning out the oil pressure valve. It was immaculate. Then, we tried adjusting the idle. Here came the problem... we are using Muir (we're getting a Chilton today), and just can't find the idle adjustment screw. His directions lead us nowhere. So, here are my questions...

  1. How do I adjust my idle?

  1. Could this even be a problem with the idle?

  2. Does anyone have any other suggestions? (Please no Muir lectures)

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh Sanders

What size engine, carburetion or fi? What weight oil are you running, and what part of the country do you live in?

Reply to
Travis

jan

Reply to
Jan

Fuel injection has a big screw on the throttle body. Adjust to 950-1050 rpm.

Check fuel mixture/vacuum leaks. WD-40 spray on all possible sources for leak, idle up means leak found. Mixture is at AFM. You should adjust mixture to slightly increase idle when you introduce air. This is best done by merely pumping brake pedal quickly and lightly while listening to engine. The booster consumes air at just the right amount for checking the mixture. If the idle drops dramatically, it is too lean. If it breaks up and recovers quickly, you're OK. If it goes up easily, you're running too rich. Colin

Reply to
Colin