78 Bus Fuel Pump problems ??

Before i start, i want to mention that i did a thorough search of RAMVA and i didnt find what i was looking for, so now im posting...

Bus ran fine until a couple weeks ago. I was letting it idle for about

10 minutes to let the battery charge. After about 10 minutes, the idling got spotty and erratic, then it died. Bus has not started since. I replaced the fuel filter. Still no go.

I had a buddy spray starting fluid in the intake and she started up great. Kept squirting the fluid in the intake and she idled for about

30 seconds until he stopped spraying. It sounds like there is no fuel going to the engine.

I dont think it is a bad ground or a fuse because the engine did not die immediately. It got spotty and erratic and it took a short while to die. I was going to drop $113 bucks on a new Bosch fuel pump, but before i do that, i wanted to mine RAMVA...

Any ideas?

Chris

Reply to
cwsteffens

Start with the Fuel Injection article on my web site:

BTW, there are NO fuses for the pump or FI or Ignition.

Find out if the pump is or is not running. Hold your hand on it or put ear next to it. Have helper crank engine. Pump is supposed to run all during cranking.

If nothing, pull the wires off the pump and connect a 12V lamp to the wires. (You could use a voltmeter but it's not as good a test.)

If there IS 12V there, go ahead and order a pump.

If no 12V, zero in on the Double Relay. My simplified diagram will show how the relay operates the pump during cranking.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If you need a pump I have a good used one arount. $35 p.p. snipped-for-privacy@humboldt1.com

Reply to