A few general ACVW questions

Q1 ==

Do all modified bugs with twin carbs emit black smoke (unburnt fuel) when bliping the throttle? Mine does it ever since i added the two solex electric choke carbs, the vacuum signal is very jerky aswell so i guess only the centrifugal part of my dizzy works properly, kinda like having a 009. I also saw this video of a modified bug from cal look.com (big carbs, heads , lotsa cc's etc) and you could see black smoke when he was blipping the throttle.

Q2 ==

Is it true that Weber carbs have to be modified to work properly on a bug engine? I heard that Berg (or was it CB Performance?) sort of drilled their carbs before selling them in order to overcome some kind of problem (to do with vacuum maybe??)

Q3 ==

Is it illegal to modify your bug by changing the capacity,carbs, exhaust etc??? (generally speaking, not just in USA)

Thanks, BugThug

Reply to
BugThug

If your carb jets are too big for your engine setup you will get a lot of black smoke. If your accelerator pump is dumping too much fuel in the carb throats when blipping you may get temporary black smoke that clears immediately. I got lots on my 1600dp van engine with dual Kadrons till I changed from .135 jets to .125's.

When you remove plugs are they all carboned up black or do they have a light brown haze on them?

Carbon = too rich a jet. Smooth Brown haze = good clean burning, even if you get black blips. Other crap - maybe whitish deposits = too lean (?)

Dunno Webers.

Generally speaking, it is illegal to do anything that has a law in place prohibiting such action.

Here in Singapore it is illegal to do anything that is not stock because no one is capable of understanding or analyzing the implications, and we pay our road tax by the cc. However, they seem not to notice or care about things like extra carbs and different (looks the same) distributors on old VW's. Different exhausts are okay too as long as they aren't too noisy.

Reply to
Oldbie