(Again) studs broken off

Hi Group,

I know this topic comes back every now and then, even a few days ago Karls had the same problem.... but then somewhat different. (other end of engine)

I snapped off 2 of the 4 studs from the exhaust. The left upper stud with about 3mm left and the right lower stud with about 1cm left. I started on the right one because it is bigger, used heat, a hammer, visegrip, liquid wrench but no luck. Searched this NG and found some idea's from John Henry which were very good.

But the problem is; i do not have any welding equipment, ánd have never welded in my entire life. The other idea is to drill them out. But then i have to lower the engine, right?

Are there any other idea's to overcome this problem?? Or is the exhaust tight enough with 2 stud in stead of 4?

Any help is wanted... very badly...:-(

tia Roger

Reply to
bug '59

For the UGLY way, when you are not equipped with proper shop tools, and ar sstranded somewhere with nothing but some basic tools to use

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks Jan,

This surely gives me another way to do it. And the engine is on my brothers

1302 and not mine 1200 so it could be a possibility to do it the Ugly way. (ssstt) However the bolds are still in place and there is my problem... to get them out!

I have my garage to my disposal with all (cough, cough) the tools i have... without a welder though. I hoped there was a way to do it without dropping the engine but my guess is i have to get in that adventure anyway....

I let you know when and how it went... In the mean time, pointers are still welcome

Roger

Reply to
bug '59