Almost related: a portable radio

This is the way hobbies get out of hand: ;)

I was delighted to find a gray Blaupunkt Lido (made in 62/63) for the grey bus as it has radio cover plate recycled for windshield washer button and I didn't want to change that. So a portable radio and this one fits to style perfectly.

Unfortunately it uses 9V and that's not easy to get in a car which has 6V systems. On the other hand it works for a long time with one 9V big battery.

Reply to
Tuomas

Is it running in a 12 volt car?. If so you could make up a regulator for a few dollars. Not just a simple resistor, the voltage drop depends on the current drawn. Being that old it would use germanium transistors that dont have great voltage ratings. Probably blow the ouput pair. Being an old analogue electronics eng I could knock up a circuit in a few minutes if needed. I,ve got an old one used in Australia, 15 ohm speaker delivering about

1 watt!!!.Dont know why they bothered, the Engine must be putting out 50 watts. Cheers John

Reply to
John

Hello!

On 21/03/11 12:21, John wrote: > Is it running in a 12 volt car?. If so you could make up a regulator >for a > few dollars.

Yes, I know.

A 7809 would do the job in a car which has 12V electrics, no problem. But raising the voltage from 6-7 to 9 isn't so easy to do.

I tried this radio with 6V and you can hear something but distortion gets out of hand and very quiet, too.

Blaupunkt claims that this little radio outputs a whole watt (amplifier & speaker element). That's a lot. :)

Tuomas

How about a 6V - 12V inverter, and then drop the 12V down to 9V

Reply to
Jan Andersson

A friend of mine has almost similar radio and it's running its third summer now on a single battery. Occasional use of course but probably more I'll use, so I don't think that the battery consumption will be a problem. ;)

We'll see.

Reply to
Tuomas