Alternator Belt Break and overheat

You might want to have them check the crankshaft's endplay and retorque the heads and case nuts (or do that yourself, easy if you've gotta torque wrench and facilities to pull your engine). Ask them to tell you how far out your valves are (as in right on, a bit out, or miles off),

when you get them done, that may help in determining how bad things are. How does the engine sound now, after you've gotten new oil in there? Are you running with a significant loss of power or does everything feel all right? Does it leak oil? Did it leak oil? No use worrying about what's already done -- just figure out how to deal with it and do it. Listen to your engine and compare it to a well running (and similar to your engine, exhaust specifically) VW engine.

Next time (engine wise), I'd say start from scratch with a mexican or

brazillian long block, or some new one somebody could build for you (or you could build one for yourself...).

-Kevin[/quote:895c0bb9f7]

The mechanic at V-Dubs said when he adjusts the valves he is going to retorque the heads, honestly it sounds and feels fine. I have not noticed any loss of power. From reading what other people posted it don't sound like it should be running at all but it is still strong, just needs the valves adjusted. The engine is a brand new case all internal parts were brand new with about 3000 miles on them. Oil changed once a month faithfuly. There was alot of belt dust on the generator, carb, and engine case. So it would be a guess, maybe it was able to turn the Generator for a little bit before it completely shredded? I don't know. But I will know more once the mechanic calls back. I hope to have it back next Thursday. They are pretty busy up there. No oil leak before, haven't noticed any since either...but I have only driven it from 7-11, where I drove it when the belt shredded, to my home which is 20 miles. Changed the oil and drove it the 50 miles to V-Dubs in Irving which is a total of 70 miles. Don't want to put to many miles on it until the guy checks it all out.

Reply to
Rookie

for the serpentine belt system

Default_1

................Ah. This sheds a lot more light on your problem. It would seem that maybe there was a period of time when the belt was slipping while at the same time still turning the fan enough to provide a little cooling during at least part of those ten miles after your generator light came on. I'd consider replacing those heads with a new pair because the aluminum in them is subject to heat damage in a situation like this. I'm no metallurgist but it's been said that temps beyond 450 deg. F. cause the aluminum to become very soft and brittle. While the heads are being replaced, your mechanic would be able to visually inspect the piston crowns for heat damage. Another suggestion would be to install an oil pressure gauge to rule out whether the bearings have been damaged enough to create a low oil pressure problem.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

That's one brand. Here is the one I run

johnboy

Yeah

No offense to any "europeans" but I like my PINT of beer, I like being

6'2" and 12 Stone. I just ordered a 57' boat without a care for how many Meters it is :-) Shame about not being able to buy a gallon of petrol anymore, and I think these days you learn metric at school :-( We are still hanging on in there !

Rich

Joao Eliseu wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Jim, Is this that light blue 74 I keep seeing on LBJ each evening?

with black headlight trim rings????

Just recently I started seeing this one. Would make a little sesne if it has only 3000 miles on "new" engine. That would be about the time I started seeing that car.

Live in mesquite or forney????? or even still Terrell?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Jim, Is this that light blue 74 I keep seeing on LBJ each evening?

direction, out by Decatur.

Reply to
Rookie

Just thought I'd ask. I keep seeing on like that described lately.

Now for "how to" lesson...........LOL

When you post a reply to someone specific, it is kinda cool if you open their post, then hit the reply button while it is up in your reading window. That is , if supernews or your reader will allow.

I almost didn't read your reply as I thought it a new addition to your original post. If it is a direct reply I will read it and reply if I feel a replay is necessary,.....kinda makes a conversation look like a conversation. I am not sure if it is newsgroup etiquette, or just my perception of how to do it, but It seems like that's the protocol.

Hope your engines not toast. but don;t be surprised if it starts having really big problems within 5 or 6 thousand miles or so.

Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I was hoping someone would do it for me and then get back to us with the results.

No, I was just curious. I was wondering if a driver was intent on watching the road and didn't glance at his gauges for a couple of miles if he would toast his motor if the generator/fan belt broke during that time.

The lights come on each time the ignition is switched on, don't they?

Ouch!

-- Christian '71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

This is my cue to post my annual summer advice:

In bright summer sunlight, it is virtually impossible for the driver to see the idiot lights, even if he is paying attention to them (and few drivers do).

The fix, which will at least help to avoid an expensive meltdown, is to install :

"Audible warning circuit for Oil pressure, Generator, Lights left on."

You can find the details of a simple homemade circuit on my web site in the Electrical/Misc section.

For those who are soldering iron challenged, it can be made even simpler with just a beeper wired directly across the GEN light.

Never lost an engine yet...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Very good idea! I have that from factory on my Seat

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Under the worst conditions, I've never failed to check the warning lights every minute or more often. You get into the habit and it becomes subconscious.

Speedy Jim (I think) has a neat diagram showing you how to wire a buzzer into the warning system.

Reply to
johnboy

So your seat will never burn up?

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

LOL Seat is Spanish car not a chair... I had never thought of that...

Joao

Joao Eliseu

So, it's probably pronounced more like "see-ot" than "seet"?

-- Christian '71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

The 'e' sounds like 'then' and the 'a' like 'car'. Seat.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Got my car back today.

The mechanic retorqued the heads and adjusted the valves and replaced the crank pulley. He said they were super tight and that God must've been with me because after test driving the car it ran strong. He said that with all the belt dust on the generator and case it had to of been turning most of the way. Because an engine will fry within a 1/2 of mile.

Reply to
Rookie

Set some money aside for a rainy day, just in case you're gonna need a new engine or a rebuild. Good to have money set aside, no matter what. Keep you're eye on it, and good luck!

Reply to
Kevin Holzer