Another Shock Question

I'm on my second pair of front shocks for my 72 standard beetle from Mid America Motorworks (OEM/Cofap/Brazilian) that don't fit. The pins on the bottom of my swing arms are too big for the shocks. The pins have about a

16mm shank, with a smaller, threaded end for the nuts. The bolt-holes in the shocks are only a little bigger than the threaded ends of the pins.

What I want to know is, am I being stupid, and the larger shank part is supposed to come off, and be replaced, or are the shocks just not made to fit? (the 'same' shocks fit fine on the rear). The shanks appear to be made of metal, and integral to the trailing arms.

So before I show my stupidity by calling Mid-America next week..... I thought it was worth asking.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Are you sure the large shank portion you described is not just a remnant of the steel sleeve of the old shock? Happened to me many times, the sleeve is supposed to come off with the shock but it rust to the bolts and stays put.. take a very close look at it. I think that's what might have happened.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Okay - that's all I needed to hear.

I didn't want to go wrenching on it like I've been known to do sometimes, and then find out I wasn't supposed to.

I'll go give it some encouragement. While being careful to not ruin the arms. :)

Thanks Jan.

Reply to
Lee

to get those sleeves off, you must heat them and try twist them off with like vice-grips. or a pipe wrench. good luck, you can do it.+

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

Yep.

I was going to come back in and ask Jan his method of choice, but I decided to try heat first, and it worked like a champ.

Thank you both.

Reply to
Lee