Arco vs. Chevron vs. Exxon vs. Shell vs. 76 vs. Valero vs...

Yes, another import newsgroup cross-post. Anyway, does anyone have opinions on the quality of gas from different stations? It always surprises me to hear people say things like "my 240SX runs way smoother on premium Chevron Techron" or "Arco gas totally screws up my Tercel's mileage." Don't most companies pump gas from the same refineries, and simply add their own, mostly ineffective, additives? Rumor has it that Shell's is tops and Arco's is bottom.

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

simpleton

Apparently all gasoline's sold in a given area of the US, with the same octane rating, are the same blends of gasolines. According to the 'American Petroleum Institute' site one of the major costs of producing gasoline in the US today is the need to store, distribute and transport the 57 different blends of gasolines produced in the US, without contaminating one with another. Blends are regulated to comply with the US environmental regulation and those of the various different state regulations. Those regulation, as well a elevation, determine which blend is sold in a particular area. EVERY company selling gasoline in that area must meet the SAME blend specs.

mike hunt

Reply to
MajorDomo

Most of the gas we sell (make), at the plant I work in, ends up at Exxon-Mobil, Dynegy, Huntsman, and Equistar. Houston, Texas. I prefer Chevron.

- snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com stood up at show-n-tell, > Apparently all gasoline's sold in a given area of the US, with

-- Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every now, and then, I kick the livin' shit `outta me." - Lit

Reply to
Strontium

At one time, EPA used only a very tightly controlled gasoline provided by Texaco. It was precisely formulated and consistent which is what you must have for certifications. Pump gas quality is all over the map by comparison.

As for who EPA gets "pedigreed" gasoline for emissions and MPG certification from now, sorry I can't help you.

Reply to
Philip®

I remember when the California's Phase II reformulated gas was introduced in '96, BP produced (in their Louisiana refinery) the original blend that was used by the state for its efficacy tests. Something about this refinery's ability to produce small batches of custom-spec'ed specialty fuels.

Reply to
y_p_w

Nonsense. The "ton of junk" (additives) are required by the state in which the fuel is sold. Where do you get your information from?

Reply to
Philip®

Some seem to be 10% alcohol - others not. Hardly the same blend.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yeah, I'd say. I heard this morning that the average price for low grade regular unleaded in the U.S. is $1.79. Here in So California, it's $2.21.9.

Reply to
Monte

Monte wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

$2.21.9 Where? I just paid 2.39

Reply to
MRK

In news:Xns94A138A7EBC28Mrk@207.217.125.202, MRK being of bellicose mind posted:

Have you seen USA-Today? Gasoline to break $3.00 at a San Francisco Shell station.

Philip®

"Philip®" wrote in news:c6m1c.19532 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Where is my hybred

Reply to
MRK

In news:Xns94A14AEE29518Mrk@207.217.125.205, MRK being of bellicose mind posted:

Silly notion for the short term. Gas prices will drop back eventually. No sense spending $22k bucks to get 45 mpg when a used $5k car getting 25 mpg will do the job. You can buy a lot of $2.85 gasoline for $17k.

Reply to
Philip®

"Philip®" wrote in news:Vmn1c.19590 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

True but it seems every year the prices go up at this time and when they come down it is always above the normal price. My frontier gets 13 mpg so I am careful

Reply to
MRK

In news:Xns94A161D0FE090Mrk@207.217.125.205, MRK being of bellicose mind posted:

Agreed. The seasonal swings seem to be more severe each year but ... . what is a "normal" price? Perhaps higher than the previoius year's price? For myself, I've got two motorcycles (45 and 54 mpg), a year old Corolla (32+ mpg) and an old diesel powered Datsun pickup (32-35 mpg).

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bright.net, David Rennick being of bellicose mind posted:

First I'm not as inept or ignorant as you make me out to be. Nobody "told" me squat. For $5k, I can pick out a pretty darned good car.

25+ years repairing cars professionally gives me an advantage. That a "cheap lemon" is the best that you could do speaks only for your experience. :-)

For instance, I just picked up a 1982 Datsun pickup, kingcab, working A/C, 121,000 miles, straight body, cab height shell. The price? "If you can get it running, you can have it." The problem was in the controller for the fuel injection pump. It's a diesel. Got it running and later, the electrical problem solved. Needed a clutch master cylinder and a windshield. I've got about $300 tied up in parts and title transmer/registration. It's gets 35 mpg on freeways and 30 mpg around town. And diesel is a little cheaper ... but not much.

But you go ahead and sign up for the 5 yr payment plan for that hybrid so you can get 45 mpg. LOL Some "economy."

Reply to
Philip®
Reply to
David Rennick

| |Nonsense. The "ton of junk" (additives) are required by the state in |which the fuel is sold. Where do you get your information from?

So you agree with others that gas is gas? Some additives are required by states but not all of them, at least according to a fuel distributor I've spoken with. They tell me they add legally required additives to all gas and then other proprietary additives depending on the brand they're filling. BP/Amoco has the least of the extra stuff.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Reply to
Brian Bergin

Since I have not personally evaluated (limited as that evaluation would be) "virgin" (my term) gasoline (save maybe the "white" gas we used many years ago in lawnmowers and Coleman lanterns). I cannot say that all "virgin" gasoline is the same. It should be safe to say that no "virgin" gasoline is sold as street legal motor fuel.

So long as there are no expensively detrimental side effects from fuel additives, I would prefer to have the detergency and lubricity.

Reply to
Philip®

|For instance, I just picked up a 1982 Datsun pickup, kingcab, working |A/C, 121,000 miles, straight body, cab height shell. The price? "If |you can get it running, you can have it." The problem was in the |controller for the fuel injection pump. It's a diesel. Got it |running and later, the electrical problem solved. Needed a clutch |master cylinder and a windshield. I've got about $300 tied up in |parts and title transmer/registration. It's gets 35 mpg on freeways |and 30 mpg around town. And diesel is a little cheaper ... but not |much. | |But you go ahead and sign up for the 5 yr payment plan for that |hybrid so you can get 45 mpg. LOL Some "economy."

If fuel mileage and how much you pay for fuel is all your concerned then you're right; however, you're forgetting one thing that's not replaceable, air. How much crap does your diesel put out in solid particles? How much do 15mpg XTerra's (I have one) put out? How much does the 45mpg hybrid? Manufacturers can build more fuel efficient cars/trucks and they've proven the technology exists, now we have to insist they produce it. I'd sure love to have an XTerra at 30mpg with the same or more hp. So you go out and spend $5k on a used car, how much does that cost our future? Perhaps every car should have to pass 2004 emissions tests no matter when they were made or they shouldn't be allowed to be driven.

Go ahead and flame, but you know I'm right. We're all to blame and you know it, you might not admit it, but you know it.

BTW, when you change your oil, what do you do with it? Personally, I recycle it. Why not just toss it down the drain or in the woods?