Battery Buying Decision Help Needed - Please!

Hi! I want to get a new battery for my '73 Beetle. Auto Zone has a nice looking one. It is a Duralast Gold for $69.99.

Actually it is not the stock replacement battery for my '73 Beetle, but dimensions are the same and has better specifications. The problem is, that it does not have a positive terminal protective cover.

I was thinking of making one by taking a tennis ball, cutting of one end, and putting it over the positive terminal clamp and post. In addition to that, I was planning on covering the top of the battery with a rubber floor mat? This would be done to keep the bench seat springs from making a contact with the positive post. Would this be OK to do or what would you suggest?

I could get the cheaper $29.00 to $39.00 battery with the positive terminal protective cover and replace it every 2 or 3 years. Thanks In Advance Sleepy Joe - R.A.M.V.I.T.E.

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

AutoZone has direct replacement batteries that have the proper plastic seat-spring shield -- you just have to drop down to the Valucraft ($39.99) tier and look for series 42-6 -- 500 cold cranking amps. It only has a one year free replacement guarantee, but the one I bought 5 years ago is still going strong.

Jim in Amarillo

Jim O'Malley (KCIT/KCPN)