leaky beetle in the boot and front portion of the cabin

hi guys, im new here so please do bare with me. i have a 1971 beetle 1200 in malaysia. so here goes. my beetle is leaking quite badly at the wall between the front boot section and the interior cabin (under the dashboard. there is water comin in whenever there is a downpour. i realised that it is caused by

the plastic container under the front bonnet vents (right in front of the windsheild) wish has water overflowing onto the the boot, through the

water realised near the fuel tank, and into the cabin. i do know that

there are sum rusty spots on the wall but according to the welder it cant be welded easily so he sanded it and applied underseal to it. i do know this sounds complicated. right now i want to find out if the container

under the bonnet vents overflow under a lots of water. i tried it using my garden tap. please do help me out. im quite lost. i prefer to solve it at the root then do unessasy welding. besides, i have changed the floor pans once and i have no intention to go through it again. take care, dev

Reply to
haridev

Is he asking us to get naked? No thanks!

Reply to
Red Bug

That container under the vents (the fresh air box ?) should have a pipe coming from the bottom of it which lets any water going into it go down through a hole just behind the fuel tank (at least, thats what mine does) and out onto the floor outside. If the fresh air box fills up with water and overflows then the bottom of it might be blocked

Reply to
Adam

Of course it's important to make sure that nothing is blocking the drain from the fresh air intake box forward of the windshield, and that there is a good seal all around the top of the box.

On my '74 Beetle there is a bad seal between the body and the frame which allowed water draining from the bottom of the fresh air box to enter the cabin. After a Vancouver rainstorm the floors would be awash. The solution was simple- extend the fresh air box drain all the way down to the floorpan using a length of garden house. Without this the floors will rust through quite quickly.

Garry

haridev wrote:

Reply to
Garry Tarr

hi guys. well i realised the the area where the pipes leads into (near the tank) has metal curve has sum rotted down to form a crack. this caused me water to enter thru this crack into the cabin. to make things worse the pipe was earlier on missing so the water just was stagnant and cause a it to rot and form a crack. then the water use to flow straight into the cabin and this caused the whole front floor pans to rot out. i think this is very important as i think this idiotic pipe cause many cars to have the floor pans rusted through. the pipe that was fitted later on was too short that is why the water came through. so what i did now is i fitted the pipe a little longer till it touched the gas tank. then i filled the crack with tar or underseal as sum say. now it doesnt leak. thanks guys for the insite anyway. one more, the tanks was not choked.

hey red bug. thanks for your reply but i reli dun wanna c u naked. im not into such things. but if u are there must be many sites that could help u out. neway if ur bug is the one on cardomain.com, the red and cream one, sorry but ive have the same colour combination as your car. tc

Reply to
haridev