Battery types

Hi RAMVA, I got to get a new battery. having seen too many rusted package trays, I've been wondering, if I use a sealed or gel battery, will it prolong the life of the package tray? It has rust preventive paint, but, who knows if it's going to work until the time comes. What's the battery kind to use in a ACVW? Trust me, getting a battery is not an easy task for the novice, when you get to the store and see about 200 different 12V batteries, it leaves you wondering if you are going to mess it up.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Wow, 200 types? There was me thinking it was just standard or heavy duty ...

I would of guessed a sealed battery couldn't leak?

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison
200 different batteries....brands, types, cap. sizes..etc...
Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

BTW...I have 8 sealed batteries on my power inverter, and sometimes, under great loads, they can get fat and leak. I'm scared of seeing that on the back of my bug. can a VW stress a batt. to this point?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Oh. Now I'm really out of my depth. I'd like to know what battery too, just for reference! I'll have a look tomorrow in the daylight, I have a new looking battery in mine.

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

If you can affoard(sp?) a sealed gell battery that would be the best, but to utilize it you would need a clever or "smart" charger, preferbly a "float" capable charger. Not easy to come by, the second best would be a rather clever Swedish made "C-Tec", comes in different flaours, the 3600 something should suit your needs. Aprox a 100$,-

J.

Reply to
BergRace

So I can't used a sealed gel battery on the stock bug?

The C-Tec is impossible to find here. and with the weight of that thing, shipping would be an important part of the price.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Sure you can. I have a sealed Miata battery in my Ghia.

As a point of interest, Mazda now supplies ordinary lead-acid replacement batteries for the very same Miatas that originally came with gel-cells.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Assuming this is 12V, you want a group 42 battery. That gives you the correct physical size, mounting, and terminal arrangement. You may still have more than 1 choice of capacity, but this narrows things down a lot.

As far as preventing rust goes, I prefer oil. It's not pretty, but it flows and seeps into the places where rust gets a foothold. Most surface coatings which dry will eventually dry and crack, and then the rust will slip underneath it.

-

Jim Adney

Why not put the battery in a plastic tray, like the ones used for boats. Any plastic container that the battery fits in and in the compartment will work. I'm actually using the lid from the marine battery box.

Reply to
Mel P.