Tailpipe

A few questions on tailpipes:-

My tailpipe on my '71 bus fell and was dragging along the tarmac for 20-30 miles one evening before anyone told me. I was only a mile from my house by this time, so after stopping and looking, we decided that there was nothing that we could do there, and it was 6am, so we continued. I managed to reattach it with the one bolt out of the two that was remaining, the holding bracket had bent. Pliers soon sorted that.

The pipe is now bevelled at the end, it looks awful.

  1. What would of happened if it fell off completely? would this of been dangerous? Performance? Overheating? Noisy?

  1. There is another bracket near the pipe, roughly halfway along. How hot does it get roughly there? I'm considering binding it up with guitar wire if it falls again. Hopefully it doesnt get above the melting point of nickel wound wire...

  2. When I replace it - any suggestions ? I'd rather a rustproof pipe, the current one is corroded anyway. Anybody know of any good UK/EU suppliers?

  1. I'm also considering the Monza exhaust kit from Just Kampers, anybody know if this is any good?

  1. Can I just saw off the bevelled section? What's likely to happen, if anything?

Thanks in advance, Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Anto,

I'm not proud of it, I guess, but a couple months ago I was driving around with a tailpipe that I tied to my bumper with wire. I replaced the muffler and the tailpipes, and got rid of the wire, but it was on there for a good month before I got the money to buy a new muffler. Tailpipes and kits are cheap. FYI - mine broke because the rear end of my 68 was sagging. Fixed that, fixed the muffler, now she fweems good as new.

Ben

1968 Stock Type 1
Reply to
Ben Baird

Dangerous to people driving behind you, yes.

Plus any reduction in exhaust system flow restriction will make your mixture leaner. Too lean a mixture in turn will cause overheating, and if notthing is done to fix it, eventually the engine will be destroyed.

If money is not an issue, go to

If, however, you need to ask what they cost, then you probably should be sitting down before entering that site and looking for prices ;)

No. No matter who built it (there are several manufactures I bet who make the infamous "4 tip Monza") the flow pattern is still all wrong, in my opinion. It might work ok in a low revving, bone stock Bus engine though. Where exhaust matters less.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you think of the workload that a standard 1500 or

1600 type1 engine is subjected to, when pushing a heavy bus around, you would want everything to be JUST RIGHT in the engine compartment. To get the best performance, torque, driveability, longevity, and economy out of it. They struggle through their relatively short life even without any modifications, and it's very easy to disturb the carefully designed factory balance of all parts in that lump. In other words, you need to know what you are doing, to protect your engine from "improvements" that actually shorten it's lifespan.

But that's why this group exists :D

I'll skip this one because I'm dead tired and don't exactly understand the situation without seeing pictures.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks Jan, much appreciated :-)

Right I will be fixing this properly. I was tempted to leave it as is, but I now feel that this is an important part in a carefully balanced system. The cost isn't really relevant, I'd rather something that does the job properly than a cheap bodge that will do damage or need to be redone in a year - thats why i want something that wont corrode!

Yeah that engine works hard, its got to push a bus and my lardy arse around town ...

The Monza was just a whim, I needed someone to say No No No its not any good!

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Jan is theoreticly correct, but a tad anxious... You will not lean it out as in any harm loosing the tail pipe on a T2. The aircooled VW engines are running rich and higher Octane than needed stock, this all as a pre-emptive(Conservative)(??)) measure.

Skip the Monza though, as it is true s**te.....

J. .

Reply to
BergRace

The last time I replaced my 76 bus exhaust. I could not get a bus muffler with a single pipe, and did not want it anyway as the system is too restrictive for the dual Kadrons. Strangely enough, the parts dealer had some bus pipes, but not a muffler. So I took a bug muffler - 2 holes, and bought 2 van tailpipes - the single piece ones with the brackets, and put those on. I had to un-tack and reweld the brackets to get them lined up with the ends of the bug muffler, and I drilled bolt holes in the end seams of the bug muffler to line up with the bracket holes. One pipe went on in the normal position once I had moved the bracket, and the other went on upside down onto the other side. Both pipes exited an inch or 2 under the corners of the bumper, and the whole thing looks like it was meant to be that way. Works great - really good power, stock bus noise without the stupid fweem

- hahaha - just a normal car rumble and no black exhaust residue crap up the back side of the bus like you get with normal bug exit points. Looks like all stock, but knowledgeable onlookers notice the 2nd pipe.

Reply to
Oldbie

I may actually have a tailpipe and bracket for a 71 bus here. That vehicle is long gone, so the part would be for sale if you want it.

-

Jim Adney

a single pipe, and

Strangely enough, the

2 holes, and bought 2

had to un-tack and

I drilled bolt holes

pipe went on in the

down onto the other side.

thing looks like it

without the stupid fweem

back side of the bus

knowledgeable onlookers notice

Excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that?? I'll have to remember that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thank you for your offer, however I am in the UK, and I think the shipping cost might make it uneconomical.

Cheers Anto

Reply to
Antony Hutchison